Back What's new
  • Update Regarding Multitracks + Registration

It's clear that this thread needs some love and attention. A lot of the links have either expired or been miss-labelled. With the amount of tracks there are, this is quite a practice. I have made the decision to lock this thread from further replies and to put out this notice that I will be refreshing this thread with updated links and guidance where needed.

I will update the thread on multitracks and the first post with any forth coming updates about this in due course. For information - I have also disabled user registrations to do some tidyup. Stay tuned.

The Jackson 5 or The Jacksons. (1 Viewer)

Pretty simple - who do you prefer?

Two different groups in my eyes for the simple fact of the shift of genre in regards to the style of music.

For me, I prefer the Jacksons. The style of music was some what more like a feel of fresh air in contrast to the bubblegum pop sound of the Jackson Five.

20200714_090542.jpg

From an album perspective, I prefer The Jacksons. Destiny is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I really love Triumph as well. I think this era is criminally slept-on.

But I do love the J5 era and so much of that material. I put the later J5 material on the same level as early Jacksons albums - I love the Moving Violation album and so much of the stuff from Dancing Machine and Get It Together.

Definitely The Jacksons. The music felt more ‘cohesive’ from one album to the next due to their greater involvement with writing and producing it. And Michael’s voice ... 🥰🥰🥰🥰 Totally agree that The Jacksons albums are totally underrated! I’ve probably listened to Destiny and Triumph as much as Dangerous or Invincible over the years!

I do obviously love J5, and Michael as a vocalist and performer at that age is just ridiculous, but the way they performed when they had control and more involvement in their own music always seems much freer and more joyous🥰🥰

Reactions: Dia
The Jacksons. Don’t get me wrong the Jackson 5 made some great music, but to me Destiny is their best album. Once they secured the chance to write their own material they were an amazing ban, so different from their first few albums after the split with Motown.

J5 for me. For the most part, The Jackson's are just soppy disco tracks with awful music under the vocals, where as the J5 stuff really had some melody to it and of course Michael's outstanding vocals.

I love some songs like Torture and Triumph is good as a whole, but for me, the melody of Doctor My Eyes will trump most Jackson's stuff. Not particularly into the bigger hits like Boogie and Shake Your Body, tend to skip them, so I'm glad Michael stepped away and came up with what he did.

I love some songs like Torture and Triumph

There's no song called Triumph- do you mean Can You Feel It (which had a short film called The Triumph?)

It's so hard to say one way or the other which is "better". But I agree, from an album perspective, The Jacksons had much more cohesive albums, with or without Gamble & Huff.

J5 were so prolific but I cant say everything was quality. Although when you look at albums like Dancing Machine and Moving Violation (incredibly well produced, cohesive, no filler songs) you can see how they were set up for success when they moved to CBS. These albums had incredible musicianship and harmonies that I believe were more challenging for the group.

Now let's look at The Jacksons. Incredible songs, productions, harmonies, and not to mention being able to contribute their own compositions. Even when you look at their first album "The Jacksons", who can look past gems like "Show You the Way to Go" , "Keep On Dancing", "Blues Away" and "Style of Life". "Goin Places" is also very underrated although isn't much of a departure from the first album under CBS. "Different Kind Of Lady" is an incredible track, one of my all time favourites. So glad they really pushed to write and produce the next two albums, which were easily their best. Timeless, and near perfect.

There's a joy and freedom that comes across in the work with The Jacksons- imagine being your 10th album as a group in and still having no creative control? Not to mention all the solo projects in between those albums. And the same goes for artists like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder- their best work was easily the stuff they wrote and produced themselves.

For those reasons, it's The Jacksons for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back