Back What's new
  • Update Regarding Multitracks + Registration

It's clear that this thread needs some love and attention. A lot of the links have either expired or been miss-labelled. With the amount of tracks there are, this is quite a practice. I have made the decision to lock this thread from further replies and to put out this notice that I will be refreshing this thread with updated links and guidance where needed.

I will update the thread on multitracks and the first post with any forth coming updates about this in due course. For information - I have also disabled user registrations to do some tidyup. Stay tuned.

Covid-19: How Has Your Life Changed? (1 Viewer)

The thread says it all- during Covid-19 how has your life changed?

Have you stopped doing certain things?
Have you started doing certain things?
Any lessons learned?
Has anything positive happened to you / for you?
Has it impacted your life negatively?

At the beginning of the pandemic and subsequent lockdown, there were memes going around that I thought were extremely damaging like "if you don't come out of this with a new skill, you never lacked time, you lacked discipline". I want this thread to be a reflection- the world is still going through a tough time, but how have you gotten through it and how are you feeling?

I will start-

I lost my job, but luckily was only out of work for a few months before being forced to change careers!

I stopped spending and was challenged to make things out of what we had at home- cocktails / crafts / cooking to keep me busy. I started pouring myself in to arts and crafts, and learned to be more frugal and that I actually had self control! We adopted 2 beautiful baby budgies who needed a home and I also poured myself into bird-mumming.
Lessons learned- we can adapt but we need to stay connected! I really struggled with staying connected- especially not being able to see my family who were not far away at all.

I am very lucky now but it was a really awful time initially, that's for sure!

The thread says it all- during Covid-19 how has your life changed?

Have you stopped doing certain things
Yes, I have basically stopped leaving my house for non essential reasons.

Yes started
  • working from home
  • online food and household weekly delivery
  • wearing a mask whenever I leave the house
Any lessons learned?
Yes, I have adapted to Covid 19 restrictions better than most people, as I never did many of the things which have now closed or are now not possible due to Covid 19. I don't miss things like going to the pub, going to sports events, going to music events, beauty treatments, socializing, etc etc as I didn't do them before Covid 19.

I can now work from home, and have worked continually since March. My financial situation has not changed, in fact I'm spending far less, so I have more disposable income than before.

Yes the main negative for me is the international travel bans. My mum hasn't seen my sister or my 5 year old niece since February, my sister had to cancel her Easter visit, I have had to reschedule my June 2020 trip to California and Forest Lawn, a September 2020 cruise has been cancelled and I have re-booked for September 2021. International travel may not be possible in December, so we may have to cancel our family Christmas as well. The Irish Government is advising against non essential travel , so we are basically trapped on this island.

As I worked all through lock-down and still continue work as normal, I didn't do all the stuff everyone "enjoying" their furlough / free time off.
I didn't
  • bake banana bread
  • learn a new skill
  • learn a new language
  • do home gym
or any of the other "trendy" things people were posting on social media

What I am having a hard time with, is
  • people not caring and just going back to normal.
  • being trapped on this island while many just decide to ignore the Irish Governments advice about non essential travel and have gone on their cheap package holidays to Spain and the Mediterranean.
  • anti maskers
  • the houseparties and people ignoring the Irish Governments advice about large gatherings and social distancing
The money from my cancelled international travel is not being spent in Ireland, its being saved for the rescheduled travel, whenever that may be.

I now refuse to
  • go into small shops where social distancing is not possible.
  • eat in restaurants, I order online delivery.
  • go grocery shopping, I order online delivery.
My online shopping has increased, as I will buy international from Amazon or UK shops instead of buying from Irish shops.

sorry, this is probably not the tone you wanted but its my reality right now.

That's a really good response! Everyone's reality is different right now and I think it's all about being able to express those feelings in a safe environment. This is my more thorough response:

- Spending so much! I haven't had my hair done since January haha
- Going out as much
- Drinking as much
- Stopped working for 3 months

- Planning days better
- More crafts
- Becoming bird mum
- Finding new interests
- Learning cooking skills I didn't have before
- Trying to stay more connected

Any lessons learned?
- You can try and plan as much as you can but life can change so quickly
- To be more adaptable.
- If you're willing to work, there's no excuse!
- Get outside your comfort zone
- Stay connected and not be so slack!
- Birds, even budgies are NOT low maintenance!

- My birdies
- Getting a job during the whole thing!

- Losing my job (initially) and having to look for work because I was ineligible for government assistance.
- Depression. That was the toughest. I felt so disconnected. Nothing was really wrong- I had a roof, I had food but I was just so sad losing the day to day face to face interaction with humans
- I had a trip of a lifetime planned & booked to the States that wasn't to be...
- Not being able to see my family
- It was so scary not having money
- My previous employer treated me horribly during the closure / lockdown and when I decided to leave. I dodged a bullet!

That's a really good response! Everyone's reality is different right now and I think it's all about being able to express those feelings in a safe environment.

Thanks, I guess I just feel disconnected from society in general. It never bothered me before Covid as I had the Michael world and my travels and other interests. But now with international travel gone and even local travel not as accessible I guess I just feel even more isolated. And being one of minority who continue to work as normal, just makes the disconnection harder, as the focus is on people who have lost their jobs and how hard they are finding things both mentally and financially.

- Birds, even budgies are NOT low maintenance!
get a bird they said, it will be easy, they said 😂

- Depression. That was the toughest. I felt so disconnected. Nothing was really wrong- I had a roof, I had food but I was just so sad losing the day to day face to face interaction with humans
Exactly, the lack of human contact. Working from home is great, but not having the office banter, the interactions with other departments, even the office gossip and the random customer complaints is hard.

Everybody’s lives have most certainly changed. This would have been completely unimaginable in January!

Yes, of course college has been closed since mid-March, our course was finished through remote learning and exams. I have stopped taking unnecessary journeys, eating out ect.
I have finally gotten around to reading a big pile of books that I never had the time to read, including some MJ books. (Dancing the Dream, Remember the time and Man in the Music)
I’ve started listening to listen to more music and getting around to movies and TV shows
Any lessons learned?
Yes, as mentioned in another reply, I have definitely learned to become more adaptable. Especially in relation to college related work.
During lockdown, we got a new dog. Unfortunately, our golden retriever of 13 years passed away in January. Over lockdown, with every one at home it seemed like the perfect time. She has been a blessing!
Luckily, as I am a student my life hasn’t been affected too badly. However, I haven’t been able to find any summer jobs, which I would have done otherwise.

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess I just feel disconnected from society in general. It never bothered me before Covid as I had the Michael world and my travels and other interests. But now with international travel gone and even local travel not as accessible I guess I just feel even more isolated. And being one of minority who continue to work as normal, just makes the disconnection harder, as the focus is on people who have lost their jobs and how hard they are finding things both mentally and financially.

get a bird they said, it will be easy, they said 😂

Exactly, the lack of human contact. Working from home is great, but not having the office banter, the interactions with other departments, even the office gossip and the random customer complaints is hard.

It's understandable to feel that way! I don't know how I will feel working from home. I guess I have the birds to talk to on my breaks now lol!

That's what they said! But it's been the MOST rewarding journey, honestly their fluffy butts saved me :)

Everybody’s lives have most certainly changed. This would have been completely unimaginable in January!

Yes, of course college has been closed since mid-March, our course was finished through remote learning and exams. I have stopped taking unnecessary journeys, eating out ect.

I have finally gotten around to reading a big pile of books that I never had the time to read, including some MJ books. (Dancing the Dream, Remember the time and Man in the Music)
I’ve started listening to listen to more music and getting around to movies and TV shows

Yes, as mentioned in another reply, I have definitely learned to become more adaptable. Especially in relation to college related work.

During lockdown, we got a new dog. Unfortunately, our golden retriever of 13 years passed away in January. Over lockdown, with every one at home it seemed like the perfect time. She has been a blessing!

Luckily, as I am a student my life hasn’t been affected too badly. However, I haven’t been able to find any summer jobs, which I would have done otherwise.

Great reply.

Sorry for the loss of your doge. But happy that you got another one. I hope it's been a fun journey with the new pup so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back