1662503775675.png

Tributes have been paid from around the world to Olivia Newton-John, who has died from cancer aged 73. The British-born Australian singer and actress was best known for playing Sandy in Grease, one of the most successful film musicals ever made.

Her Grease co-star John Travolta said she "made all of our lives so much better" while its director said: "What you see is what you get with her."

She died peacefully at her California ranch surrounded by family and friends. An actress and musician, Newton-John achieved commercial success as a country singer and sold millions of records globally.

But it was her role as high school student Sandy in the film Grease that catapulted her to worldwide fame.

The musical was the biggest box-office hit of 1978, and gave Newton-John three huge hit singles, including You're The One That I Want and Summer Nights, both performed with co-star John Travolta.

And it was a catalyst for change in both her image and her musical direction - shedding her innocent, country-pop image.

1662504364575.png

From left: Olivia Newton-John, Holliday and Michael Jackson on opening night of the Los Angeles production of Dreamgirls in March 1983. Barry King/Sygma/Getty Images

Actress Stockard Channing - who played Rizzo in Grease - said: "I don't know if I've known a lovelier human being.

Sources For This Article:

Please Log in to view URLs that have been listed here. It's free and quick.